Monday, May 28, 2007

Faith is a stinky word.

The word Faith bugs me. A different word should be picked. Perhaps feelings, belief, knowledge, evidence, or credulity, depending on your definition.

Definition 1 (JWs):
"Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld," (Hebrews 11:1) and Faith is also “the evident demonstration,” or evidence for conviction, regarding unseen things. Our mental perception and heart appreciation convince us that such things are real, although we have not seen them.—2 Corinthians 5:7; Ephesians 1:18.
http://www.watchtower.org/e/20020401/article_01.htm
http://www.watchtower.org/e/20031201/article_02.htm
The Insight Book(green JW book) even goes so far as to say it's concrete evidence. that evidence being.
1) Creation- The universe and world around us
2) Bible is accurate and true word of God
3) Jesus's Life story
4) Prophsey proved accurate

So this definition is coming from the angle of absolutes, or I have facts or I think I have facts that prove my belief. Basically its saying, even though I got these invisible/blind spots I have so much surrounding evidence that I can be confident I am right.

Needless to say I've seen counter arguments to many so called evidences including the ones above which I'll blog about later.

Once you subtract those evidences you no longer have faith based upon evidence but now come to definition 2 of faith.
That being of a concept for a gap filler, In the absence of facts it is a feelings thing or faith in faith or a personal experience thing. To me this is a bit of a cop out and a crutch, a hole in your argument, sometimes willful ignorance, it is abdicating your head for your feelings.

I really don't much like the word faith , it now has alot of negative connotations to me.

If you happen to have faith, wether it be definition 1 or 2, I don't mind as long as you don't do assholeish things because of it.

No comments: